But now, rather than turning to your memory vault, we want you to sing for an actual child. Your job is simple:
1) Pick a kid. (Could be your own progeny; a niece, nephew, cousin or grandchild; a special kid in your neighborhood or school; or even a perfect stranger, as long as they’re under the age of 12.)
2) Sing a song. (This could be as simple as an a cappella rendition of a song the child likes to sing. It could be a looped arrangement of a song for the kid, new or old. Or it could be a totally spontaneous composition, a sung message to let this child know exactly know how you feel about them.)
Bonus points for including the kid in your recording!
The steps are as follows:
- Step 0: Sign up for a free SoundCloud account here. Join the SSS group.
- Step 1: Record yourself singing for a kid.
- Step 2: Upload to SoundCloud and post the track to the SSS group.
- Step 3: Listen to and comment on tracks uploaded by your fellow singers. (Play nice!)
Deadline: Your tracks should be uploaded by midnight wherever you are on Tuesday, June 14, 2016.
Length: The length of your finished work should be about the attention span of your average 7 year old.
Description: It would be awesome to include a short description of where and when you sang your piece.
Title/Tag: When uploading to SoundCloud, put “[sss-kid]” in the title of your track. Also include the term “sss-kid” as a tag. This will help us find it.
Group: Once the track is uploaded, click on the “Add to group” button below the waveform and make sure to select the Society for Spontaneous Singing group. (This option will only appear if you have already joined the group! So do that now.)
Linking: You are welcome to include this info in your description:
This track is a reply to “SSS Prompt 72: Sing Sing for a kid.” More on the Society for Spontaneous Singing at http://singthis.org .
Thank you, sweet singers!
Jascha & Amado